Want some Bible reading advice?
An irreplaceable aspect of Christian growth is regular Bible reading. Over the years, I’ve received many tips on better Bible reading, on how to read the Bible for myself, on how to look for Jesus, and so on. But one piece of advice stands out from the rest. What is it?
The Best Bible Reading Advice I’ve Ever Received
The piece of advice is from John Piper.
In a foreword on a book for seminarians, Piper gives some advice for future scholars and pastors and preachers. But this piece of advice is applicable for all Christians.
Here’s what Piper says:
“If there is anything I can underline, it would be this: cry to God day and night that he would open your eyes to see wonderful things in his word (Ps. 119:18). In other words, seek to experience every hour of study as a supernatural event. Everyone knows study is natural . . . you do the work. But if you are crying out for him, God works. And his work is decisive. That makes all the difference.”
Yes, pray before, during, and after you read your Bible. This will make a life-changing difference. But what can you pray for? Here’s at least 10 things.
10 Things to Pray When You Read Your Bible
- Pray that God will help you to see wonderful things in his word.
- Pray that God will show you Jesus.
- Pray that God will help you to grow in obedience.
- Pray that God will convict you of your sin.
- Pray that God will stir your affections and emotions for him.
- Pray that God will speak to you through his word.
- Pray that God will help you to memorize his word.
- Pray that God will help you increase your love for him.
- Pray that God will increase your love for his word.
- Pray that God will give you opportunities to share his word.
There’s many other prayers, and many great resources for better Bible reading. Take advantage of Logos and blog posts and commentaries and know the Greek and Hebrew, if you can. Use apps and technology. And do whatever you must to stay in the word. But remember: while resources are great, nothing should replace the practice of prayer as you read his word.
You may also like: